What can happen when the WORD is embodied?
One day I was walking around the living room of a potential apartment, praying to see if it was the one I should take. As I began to dance out my prayers I was swept into a spiritual experience. God was showing me about His WORD--that it is fire and life, nourishing food, water, a sharp sword, light, sweet like honey, wisdom, that it sets people free and heals them, it communicates, it creates, it blesses. He showed me that if this WORD were in my dancing, then He could use the dance to the same effect that the WORD has in so many ways. I felt that He told me to "Get the WORD in your body," (not just in my mind and heart) and as well, to help others to do the same. It is not that I had never done something of the sort before (many thanks to Dawn Sandquist and Kathryn Linehan); this just felt like a new commissioning. It began an interesting journey of exploring how to do this each day.
I'd like to share my simple method with you for your own use:
(This is especially good for kinesthetic learners.)
1) Choose a passage.
2) I like to hold the Bible to my heart and take a deep breath and think about being "good dirt" that willingly receives the seed of the Word with intent to allow it to penetrate & transform me so that I incarnate it.
3) Ask Holy Spirit to bring illumination of the passage and to guide your movements. Jesus is our teacher; we must come with meek and lowly hearts like children to learn.
4) As you read the passage out loud, paying attention to what it is saying, begin to find actions/movements/shapes to interpret the words. Take your time, explore, experiment...have fun!
5) You may find that the movements bring new understanding of the passage or cause new questions to surface. Let these lead you into conversation with the Lord; talk with Him about how this relates specifically to your own life. Perhaps you could also try embodying the passage a different way with other movements.
6) Say aloud the scripture reference to help reinforce it so you can know where it is and find it again.
7) Write down what God has spoken to you and your response.
Now go share it with someone else!